So exactly what is a Primer and why do I recommend that you have one as an essential in your arsenal of make-up?
If like me, you have a tendency to look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards before teatime, then a primer could be just the thing missing from your basic morning routine. I swear sometimes you'd think I'd intentionally gone out of the house without any make-up on at all. I don't know where the hell it disappears to whilst I'm sat at my desk! Must be all the head in hands, rubbing my chin, pondering my next big enterprise that rubs it all off!
Anyway, its time to step up my game and for me that means ensuring that a Primer is an essential part of my skin pre-prep for 2017. Of course, I'm recommending that you do the same.
You wouldn’t put gloss on the skirting boards before you’ve undercoated them now would you. A good primer works much the same way.
It’s like the invisible glue between your skin and your foundation, helping your base look fresh and newly applied from morning till night. Invest in that additional bit of skin prep and you'll perfect a more pristine and longer lasting flawless look. Fresh as a daisy all day long.
These are just some of the top benefits of using a primer.
1. Seals Pores. Unfortunately I suffer from large pores so I use a primer to effectively create a blanket over them providing a flawless base for applying my foundation.
2. Softens Skin. Normally a primer will have a gorgeous velvety texture which creates a lovely smooth and soft overall appearance.
3. Easier Make-Up Application. Your make-up is going to glide on.
4. Non-Comedogenic. Not all of course but if you pick the right one, it won't clog your pores so if you if you do have acne prone skin, there's nothing to worry about.
5. Anti-Aging. I say this not because of any wonder ingredients they might contain but because their overall effect is to smooth out skin and fine lines and wrinkles lending to an overall fresher, flawless and more younger looking appearance.
6. Make-Up Stays on for longer. This for me is one of the key benefits. I'm pretty low maintenance as it goes and not one for regular touching up throughout the day (well not of that kind anyway!!) Primers minimise sweating and act as a kind of super hero shield for your skin helping your make-up stay in place for longer.
7. Light Reflecting. If you opt for a primer with light reflecting pigments, you'll enjoy a double whammy as this will help blur lines and even out pores for an even fresher “they’ll never guess you’re over 40” look.
8. Easy to apply. Usually just they go on as a liquid. No expert blending required.
9. Covers over redness. A primer can help hide a multitude of sins turning your face into the perfect canvas on which to paint your very own master piece.
10. Suitable for any skin type or colour. Generally no shades to select from. Easy!
Here's a few of my recently tried and tested that I'm recommending
Just brilliant! Easy to use, totally fuss free and has all the combination of tones you need to really create a perfect base. The green will neutralise redness, lavender will counteract any sallowness and the peach cocktail will deliver brightness where its needed. No need for you to perfect the art of colouring or contouring yourself by numbers, running the risk of looking like a clown! Easily applied and will leave skin looking clear and fresh for hours.
Gorgeous and again oh so easy to apply. It creates a really wonderful soft back lit luminosity to your complexion. It actually looks lovely just on its own and it's also great as a little refresher during the day - applied to cheek bones it gives them a lovely "lift" and glam girl glow.
As you'll already know if you've been reading my blog this has been my "go-to" discovery brand of 2016. I'm really looking forward to trying out more of the range this year. This one is oil free and oxygen rich so its great for my own skin type. Its also breathable and contains Hyaluronic Acid too so it does so much more than just prime the face.
It’s one of the classics out there on the market and with its gorgeous silky texture it’s easy to apply with your fingertips and creates a fab flawless look. I go back to this one time and time again. I generally opt for the basic foundation primer from the range but there are versions for added radiance, hydration, oil-free, with added SPF 30 so really you can't go wrong. Just pick your own favourite.
So there you have it. To prime or not to prime - really there is no questions. Get investing ladies and let me know what your own personal favourite is.